TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
THEME: Performing Arts and Entertainment
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 5
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: DANCES OF THE LOCALITY
- Definition of dance.
- Dances for different occasions and festivals
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Define dance.
- Explain features of traditional dances.
- Perform a dance for any occasion.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
Entry Behaviour: the students have been taught the definition of drama and theatre.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Cultural and Creative Arts (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Cultural and Creative Arts for Primary Schools.
WORD FILE: rhythmic, movement, express.
ELEMENTS OF DANCE
Dance is the rhythmic movement of the human body in time and space to express ideas or emotion.
Dance begins as the body begins to move.
Uses of Dance
- Dance is used to communicate and express feelings.
- It is used to pass information.
- It serve as entertainment for the people.
Features of traditional Dance
Traditional dance is the dance that is recognized by a particular tribes.
Features of traditional dance includes the following:
- Movement: movement can be fast, slow or medium body movement.
- Facial expressions
- Floor pattern
- Space: it helps in movement.
- Make – up
Dances for different Occasions in Nigeria
Nigeria, we have different kinds of dance from different tribes like igbo cultural dance, Fulani cultural dance. They are performed on occasions like festivals and ceremonies such marriage, naming, burial and coronation ceremonies. Some of these dances are performed by masquerades, members of a cult group, title holders. Etc.
Characteristics and features of traditional dances in Nigeria
Dance are danced out of natural and basic movement.
Some names of Nigeria traditional dances
- Bata dance
- Sharo dance dance
- Jarawa dance
- Atilogwu dance
- Ekombi dance
- Swange dance
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (Introduction to theatre and drama).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: Dances of the locality
- He/she explains the meaning of dance to the students.
- He/she mention the uses of dance.
- The teacher leads pupils to mention names of dance in Nigeria.
- The pupils copy and submit their note for marking.
- Students demonstrate any traditional dance particular of your tribe to your teacher.
Instruction: Answer the following questions below.
- Define dance.
- Mention three uses of dance.
- Mention three features of dance.
- List three names of dance in Nigeria.
PREVIOUS LESSON: Introduction to theatre and drama.
NEXT LESSON: Definitions of dance.