TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON COMPUTER STUDIES/ INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: COMPUTER STUDIES
THEME: COMPUTER APPRECIATION
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 3
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 45 MINUTES
TOPIC: THE COMPUTER KEYBOARD I
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Identify sections of the keyboard.
- Recognize the different sections of the keyboard.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Toy keyboard
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Computer Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Computer Studies for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: documents, typewriter.
The computer Keyboard contains keys that we used to input data into the computer system, type documents and also control the computer navigation.
The 104 –key enhanced keyboard is the popular keyboard used in almost all computers. It has a QUERTY layout. The keyboard looks like a typewriter
Organization of keys
The keyboard is arranged into several groups based on their functions.
- Typing Area or Alphanumeric keys: it holds alphabetic character such as letters, special characters and numbers. We mostly use this area when working with word processing because it contain alphabetic and numerical keys.
- Function keys: they are used for special purposes, programmers and computer technicians used these keys to perform certain task. It is located at the top of a keyboard and are grouped into three parts with each part having four keys respectively. There are 12 functional keys from F1 to F12.they are used as shortcut key when working on computer.
- Numeric Keypad: it is arranged like a standard calculator, it is used to enter numerical data by turning on the number mode. It can be used to move the cursor on the screen to left, right, up and down when on directional mode.
- Navigational keys: they are called arrow keys and can be used to move the text cursor in the direction of their arrows. They can be used for navigation of document, webpages or editing of text. Navigation keys are found between the typing keypad and the numeric keypad. It has two groups of keys arranged top and bottom. The top keys hold insert, home and page up, page down, end and delete keys. The bottom keys are for independent directional keys that enable you to move the cursor right, left, up and down.
Functions of navigation and monitor control keys
- Insert key: it switches between insert and overtype modes.
- Home key: it brings you back to the beginning of a page.
- Page up and page down keys: these keys help to move one page or screen up and down.
- Delete Key: it erases a text or page.
- End Key: the end key takes you to the end of a page.
OTHER KEYS ELEMENTS ON THE KEYBOARD
There are other keys in the keyboard. These are: status lights, print screen, scroll lock and pause and break keys. Most of these keys are found on a standard computer keyboard but in laptop/note book keyboard types are more compact.
STATUS LIGHT: It is used as an indicators like if you press the caps lock on the typing keypad, the caps lock status light indicates that CAPS is on and can type capitals letters.
PRINT SCREEN: IT helps to save the current window as an image.
PAUSE/BREAK KEY: it temporarily halts the action of the program that is being run, for example, to switch between multiple login sessions, to terminate a program. To interrupt a modern connection or to pause some games.
The control keys includes CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, ESC and the Windows keys. These keys are often used alone or in combination with other keys to perform certain task.
When the control key is pressed with other keys, it performs some special operation.so, it is used as shortcut.
The following are some important shortcuts are given below.
- CTRL + A = select all
- CTRL + C = copy
- CTRL + P = print
- CTRL + V = paste
- CTRL + X = cut
- CTRL + Y = Redo
- CTRL + Z = undo
Shift key is used to perform different shortcut. It is combined with a letter to type an uppercase letter and when combine with numeric keys, it type the symbols shown on the upper part of those keys.
Tab key is used to move the cursor several spaces forward and it can be used to move to the next box or next entry in a table format like excel sheet.
It is called the escape key and it is used to get out of situation. It can be used to quit, cancel, exit, abort or stop unwanted programs in Microsoft windows.
OTHER IMPORTANT KEYS
It is the largest key on the keyboard and it is used to create an empty space or a space character to separate words and sentences.
It is used to type capital letter when it is on, when the status light display on the right hand side on the top corner of the keyboard. It shows that Caps key is on.
Enter key or return Key
It is use to return cursor to the next line and to execute a command or operation. Some keyboards have two while some have one enter key.
Backspace key and Delete key
Backspace is used to delete any character left of the cursor point.
Delete key delete or removes any character immediately under the cursor or to the right of the cursor point. The delete keys also removes the highlighted texts or objects.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (REASONS FOR TAKING CARE OF COMPUTER).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: COMPUTER KEYBOARD.
- She/he mention, explains the usefulness of the computer keyboard.
- The teachers
Leadsthe pupils to mention the different parts of the computer keyboard.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES: student were ask to mention the mention the different parts of computer keyboard.
- Mention three uses of computer keyboard.
- Mention three different sections of computer keyboard.
CONCLUSION: the teacher sum up the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: REASONS FOR TAKING CARE OF COMPUTER
NEXT LESSON: MOUSE